How much do you know about traffic? Considering how much time we spend in and around traffic and how it dictates much of our lives — from the vehicles we buy to the routes we take each morning — too few know necessary statistics about our roadways.
We hope to change your perception of traffic and, in turn, ensure you drive safely on today’s ever-changing and ever-busy roadways. The following traffic statistics will cover extensive topics, including the consequences of traffic, the time sink that traffic entails, facts and figures about traffic’s impact on us and the world around us, and much more!
2024 Traffic Stats
- The average American spends 42 hours per year in traffic – adding up to more than 2 months on the road over the course of your lifetime! (Texas A&M Transportation Institute’s Urban Mobility Scorecard)
- Traffic jams waste an average of 99 gallons of gas per year due to busy roads and over $1000 in lost productivity
- COVID-19 has changed rush hour – different parts of the city are now busy at different times of the day – not just highways and downtown!
- Single vehicle accidents resulted in over 1000 deaths in Texas in 2019 – which was 32% of all traffic fatalities
- Traffic gets worse as the week goes on – with Fridays being the worst day to drive! (Texas A&M 2019 Urban Mobility Report)
- Boston, Washington, DC and Chicago have the worst traffic in the USA, causing more than 400 hours log in congestion
- 256,338 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2019 – meaning 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 3 seconds
- 886 people were killed in crashes where the driver was under the influence of alcohol – about 25% of the total deaths!
- Since 2001 car crashes are the leading cause of death among people ages 4 to 33 in the United States (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
- Helmets, seatbelts and child seats work! Helmets saved 1,872 motorcycle riders, child seats saved 325 kids and seatbelts saved almost 15,000 lives in 2017 alone!
There you have it! A few key traffic statistics, including statistics on traffic accidents, that shed some light on our busy world. When it comes to traffic calming solutions and road safety, Transline is your go-to source!